Monday, November 22, 2010

Tanza Teasa

Here is a quick look at our trip to Tanzania and Kenya as told by random pictures (and captions!).  Kristi will come along to put together a comprehensive post.  Consider this your teaser:

That dorky stretch pose is really my giraffe impression...really!


Kristi beckons the driver to get into hugging distance of her keenly spotted giraffe



Alas, foiled by short arms and the giraffe's long legs.  Maybe he didn't appreciate all that pointing!



Kristi vents her frustrations and a lifelong stint at vegetarianism comes to a shocking, yet fulfilling end.



I begin my search for the elusive elephant
 


Tree damage sparks my hunter instincts



I discover more elephant signs plopped right in front of me.  A quick taste at the freshness level tells me they're not far, and not getting enough carbs in their diet



I throw down the bulky binocs to put faith in the 20/20 vision I was so lucky to be born with



Kristi seemed to think trusting our guide was the way to go...


... and what do you know, she's right (again!).  Wish she would've convinced me before I got sick from that taste test.



Dumbo and Bumbo



I know they say elephants are smart, but I was surprised at how mannerly as well.


They even washed up afterward
<Elephant breaking into water tank for the campsite>



Artist depiction of park responsibilities of which this particular one we thought was a joke...(see above)



Our guide Malise didn't take crap from anyone...well except for the elephants.  Seriously, they're huge, you do what they say


Kristi attempts to draw out lions by communing in the form of a simba bathing impression



Hey that worked pretty well!



She may have let her new found skills go to her head


I gave it a try by calling upon the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon


Score!
<Close up of tree from previous pic>




Pretty soon I had the animals eating out of my hand



Kristi contemplates the merits of getting outside the vehicle with only this 'fence' in between her and animals that are...well, much larger than her or said fence.


Feeling safer inside the vehicle, we force through a herd of African cattle.  "Seriously, we didn't come all the way from Texas to see Cows.  Move along, let's get to the good stuff!"



We were not shocked we lost one of the shocks on the trailer


With the condition of the roads, we were shocked we only got stuck once



You can't see it but I've got a smile on my face too, even with me doing all the work, because Kristi is busy taking such great pics of both of us...



Kristi duck-ducks her head out for a peek at a dik-dik ("deek-deek")



Kristi protecting herself from debris dropped by a tree dwelling monkey following her attempt at communication through a joke:
"How do monkeys get down the stairs?"
"They slide down the banana-ster."
Boos and debris soon followed...



My methods of communication revolve less around stand-up and more around mimicking.  Like napping on the rocks with the Hryax


Or trying out a termite meal



Or marking my territory where the Hyrax do



Baboon obstacles.  Just like dodging rocks...that move...and bite



Kristi and I racing through a banana plantation.  Loser had to fight a lion!



I Win then Kristi takes him down with ease.  The lion's fighting skills were a bit rusty in my opinion.




I started reading The Cosmos by Carl Sagan in the plane on the way to Tanzania.  I discovered one of the pictures shows the oldest known footprint of our bipedal ancestors and it's located at one of our destinations, Oldupai Gorge / Laetoli



Similar picture in the Oldupai Gorge Museum



Touching History.  OK OK, a plastered version of History.



Recreating History


Kristi's attempt at a hominid impression... needs some work.  She's poised for a killer back flip though.  Any other suggestions from the readers at what it looks like Kristi is doing?



Enlightened at Sunset


"Thank you ancestors for figuring out that whole fire and wheel thing!"



Our walking, more like dragging, sticks halfway up Oldonyo Lengai, the active volcano we climbed.



A 'few' local brews to end a wonderful trip.  All pics taken after opening have been omitted.



Thanks Duma!

8 Comments:

At 4:32 AM, November 22, 2010, Anonymous Melissa :) said...

O..M..G..that was GREATNESS! Love it, love it, love it - and miss ya'll, miss ya'll, miss ya'll! :) Thansk for sharing - and have a happy Thanksgiving abroad!

 
At 6:10 AM, November 22, 2010, Blogger the traveling gene said...

wow, what an experience. Thanks to the animals for cooperating. This is a very clever post.

 
At 6:13 AM, November 22, 2010, Blogger The Poges said...

What an adventure!! I can't wait to hear about it at Christmas!! I am also guessing that you did the work the entire canoe trip even when Kristi wasn't taking pictures of both of you! :)

 
At 8:22 AM, November 22, 2010, Blogger Lindsey Z said...

My fave was the baby elephant - so cute! And my guess is that Kristi is poppin a squat! :P The tree monkey pic reminded me of howler monkeys in belize. Getting hit on the head with leftovers really does hurt.

Great pics guys, love you and can't wait to see you soon.

PS I taught Doug how to use G Chat!

 
At 10:37 AM, November 22, 2010, Blogger Laura Rhea said...

oh my goodness, I was CRACKING UP!!!! soooo funny!
and SO AWESOME to see the photos!!! what an amazing adventure!

 
At 10:55 AM, November 22, 2010, Blogger Unknown said...

Miss you guys a lot, but it looks like ya'll are having one heck of a time! I enjoy all the pictures!

 
At 4:05 PM, November 22, 2010, Blogger Unknown said...

Loved the pics and the post. Reminded me of my recent Safari in Animal Kingdom at DisneyWorld...LOL.
You guys did it all. Hiking...biking...canoeing...safaring (is that a word?). Thanks for sharing. See you all soon!!!

 
At 6:45 PM, November 22, 2010, Blogger Denise said...

What a great safari... best and only one I will ever go on... :) And what a great guide!!! Should have brought some elephant poo back with you for Kari. They sell elephant poo-paper. :) Thanks again and really enjoyed the pics and narration... Have a safe flight home!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home